Saturday, November 1, 2008

Berenice Abbott Photographs

KR and I rode around the city on our bicycles today. Got some ramen at Minca on East 5th Street then went to some galleries in Chelsea. Whenever I see the Starrett-Lehigh Building I think of this great photo by Berenice Abbott.


Later in the day, I was thinking about the photos she took in Williamsburg. Like this one from Powers and Olive.


Here's the corner of Graham and Metropolitan.


And here's one from South 6th Street and Berry, featuring the very bridge we rode over twice today.


My new favorite bike riding stretch is the path between the Williamsurg Bridge and Battery Park. Coincidentally, Berenice Abbott took a lot of great photos of that area too.


If you haven't seen Berenice Abbott's work before, "Changing New York" is the classic book. She is also the person responsible for getting Eugene Atget the recognition he deserved, through her work with his archive.

No comments: