Monday, July 28, 2008

Emory Douglas

After work I came home and drew a picture.
Then I went to meet KR at Rai Rai Ken for dinner.
After that we went to St. Marks Bookshop.
This was on the sale table so I bought it:

It's amazing!
Full of eye-popping psychedelia of course, but it's way more than just a hippie freak-out book. (There's even a little bit of punk stuff.) And it does a great job of letting the work speak for itself.

One of the artists in the book is Emory Douglas.
I didn't know anything about him, but I love his work.
He was a member of the Black Panther Party and his art appeared in almost every issue of their newsaper, "The Black Panther".

















There was a big show of his work at LA MOCA recently.
They put out a book too, which I will be buying soon.
The MOCA website has mp3s of an art talk with Mr. Douglas from 2007, so check that out for sure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nato and I own this beautiful book, too--it spent many weeks on the coffee table. P.S. You can buy the Emory Douglas book at Bluestockings!